College of Law
Five
years ago, I was very much frustrated not passing the entrance examinations of
UP and Ateneo College of Law. As a result, my morale was very low thinking that
I let the people who believe in me down. I have to settle with San Beda College
of Law, then. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise since San Beda, this I
can say now, is arguably the best but inarguably the toughest law school in the
land.
The
best because it consistently garners one of the highest, if not the highest,
passing percentage in the Bar Examinations despite allowing one of the most, if
not the most, number of barristers each year. The toughest because it has been
an established unwritten policy of the school that five years is the rule while
four years is the exception, starting with around twenty sections in first year
then it becomes four sections only during the last year, and that the school
does not offer removal examinations and failed subjects can only be retaken the
following year and not during the next semester. San Beda law, obviously, is
not for the faint hearted.
I
was part of the “rule” and not the “exception” since I finished it for five
gruelling years. I failed four subjects during my five year stay in San Beda,
but I have to say it, out of those four failures, three of them were
questionable. Let’s just say that those professors took it personally. Well,
all law students have to deal with that. As what they claim, law professors,
whose egos are bigger than their head, are the gods and goddesses inside the
classroom. But one thing is for sure, they cannot put a determined student
down. Good thing I always wore my determination pretty tight.
My
last year in law school was a grinder. I have to double the effort that I have
exerted in my lower years just to survive it. There were a lot of memorable
things that happened during that year. Worthy of mention is what I experienced
in my midterm examination in Taxation Law Review. My mini vacation to Hong Kong
has long been scheduled which was the weekend right after the examinations.
Unfortunately, our examination in taxation, without consultation with students,
was moved to a later date and it conflicted with my flight. I have to cut my
stay abroad from four days to two days and I needed to review in the airport
and inside the plane while on flight. As expected, I was not that prepared for
the examination. When the result was out, I got the lowest score. But with the
combination of determination and prayer, it was more of the latter actually, I
was able to pass the subject, barely. Taxation sure is my waterloo. And I still
remember that fateful evening when the Dean’s Office posted the list of the
students who they will allow to graduate. Together with my anxious batchmates,
we started searching for our names. My heart stopped beating for a while, but
when I saw my name, I was in tears of joy. All those sacrifices translated into
a major achievement, that is, I will be able to wear that dazzling red toga,
walk on the aisle of the beautiful Abbey Church and take a step closer to
becoming a Bedan lawyer. And when I say a Bedan lawyer, it is understood to be
a top notch lawyer. It follows.
I
could have not overcome all these without my deep devotion to St. Jude de
Thaddeus, Padre Pio de Pietrelcina and Our Lady of Manaoag. Perhaps someone has
already told you that prayer works. Trust me, it really does. And to my father
who has consistently reminded us the importance of education and has led us in
this field by example, to my mother who has been my inspiration and source of
infinite love and care, to my siblings who never doubted me and have shown
extraordinary support right from day one, to my relatives who were with me in
prayers, and to my girlfriend, Kat, whom I can call my bestfriend, always by my
side through good or bad times. Reaching my goal, though it appears otherwise,
seemed never difficult because with them, anything is possible.
Countdown to OctoBar
And
then the countdown to “OctoBar” began. Seven months of preparation for the
biggest battle of my life. Some had a month-long break, some started their
grand preparation right away, I had a week off at Ilocos. Then I was ready to
take off.
I
was able to enrol in San Sebastian College of Law for my review classes. Right
after getting the schedule of the review, I was able to make my own calendar
from April to OctoBar. Time management was very important because a day wasted
maybe costly in the end. I have to compile all my review materials since first
year, put those under the same subject together, pack them in a box, then label
each box. Just looking at the boxes gave me additional motivation for my
review. Organization, as well, is of the essence. I gave the major subjects a
month each while half a month for minor subjects, but taking a time off during
weekends just to make it sure that I keep myself sane for the duration of my
review period.
And
for the first time in my life, I was to live alone, away from my family since I
cannot focus on my review when I am to live with my family where all the
temptations and distractions are just around the corner. Kuya Chinkoy and Ate
Jane offered their apartment to me and it was perfect for reviewing students
like me. Kuya Chinkoy used the same when he reviewed and passed the Medical
Technology Licensure Exam. I happily called it my home for the next seven
months. I was to cook my food, wash the dishes, clean the room including the
toilet, do the groceries and pay the bills. My review for the Bar did not just
prepare me for the examination but also helped me become a more responsible and
independent person. Shooting two birds with one stone, eh?
The
irony with my review is, I rarely went to review sessions. I usually go to
school during Thursdays only for the St. Jude novena and I took that time as
well to get review materials. I never completed a review session since self
study was more effective to me. But I see to it that I take up all the Mock Bar
Exams. Out of the eight subjects, I only passed two in the said mock exams. But
pressing the panic button was never an option for me. It is better to fail all
subjects in the mock exams than to fail all in the real exams.
My
daily routine during the duration of my review was quite dry. I have to wake up
at six in the morning, turn on the radio to listen to the news, do a freestyle
exercise which includes singing and dancing, cook or buy something for
breakfast, review until lunch time, cook or buy once again, watch the
television before taking a noon time sleep, then review again until my body
lays to rest at late night. The longest time I spent in reviewing in one day
was ten hours and I did not even realize that I was reviewing that long
already. Funny but it is true that I forgot to take a bath thrice during my
seven month long review. But although it sounds like I was spending all my time
for the review, I really did not. I still found time to watch PBA, NBA,
Wrestling, MMA, the Olympics and Corona’s Impeachment.
There
were times when I got dead bored during my review, but thanks to Mama who never
missed to call me everyday. When it’s a normal day, I would have got irritated
with her calling me everyday. But during my review, talking to her on the phone
was my favourite time of the day. I get to know that they are all doing fine, I
get to ask sweet nothings, I get to share jokes and laughter with her, and most
specially, I get to feel her love and how much she cares about my preparation
for the Bar. This was an extra motivation for me to push harder for the Bar.
The
most difficult time of my review was when Hanging Habagat showed its wrath and
submerged the whole of Metro Manila. It was non-stop heavy raining for several
days, flooding the streets, knocking out electricity, and this resulted in
scarcity and later on unavailability of water and food. Flood in the streets
was knee deep and nearby stores were either closed or their goods were sold
out. There were times when I ate biscuits for lunch and used candles at night
to review. But a determined man knows no limits. Good thing determination was
wrapped around my sleeve.
To
neutralize this difficult time, I had a grand one week vacation in August for
Kuya Marty and Manang Mija’s wedding at Ilocos. I used this time off to relax
and recharge myself for my second reading. To make it better, Kat, who was in
Europe for her second masters degree, went home to the Philippines and I get to
spend quality time with her, celebrating love at its peak. On the day she was
to leave, we gave each other our tightest hugs and warmest kisses, and she told
me, "The next time we see each other you'll already be a lawyer." It
was a short but very touching message. It found its home deep inside my heart.
It
was surely a roller coaster ride but good thing my schedule was right on cue
and after wrapping up my review, I was very much excited instead of feeling nervous
for the Bar Exams.
And
then comes OctoBar.
OctoBar
Sleepless
nights starting to pile up, tension rises, anticipation, excitement and anxiety
all mix up, but one thing remains constant for me – prayer.
Bedan
barristers get to stay in the glamorous Diamond Hotel facing Manila Bay for the
four Saturdays of October. Unlike most barristers, I was with my big family
inside my room – my parents, five siblings, two in-laws and my adorable nephew,
Zalo Boy. As much as I would like to scan my notes hours before the first exams
I was not able to do so because it won’t register in my mind anymore. I then
spent those hours spending quality time with my family. I was able to sleep
around eleven in the evening, woke up at three in the morning, took a bath,
took up a light breakfast, received my family’s blessings, and like an early
bird I went inside our service right away, positioned my self at the front seat
and then read the last minute tips provided by the members of the Bar Ops. At
this very moment I can feel what all lawyers have gone through. This is it, the
examination of a lifetime – the infamous Bar Examinations.
First Week
First
week of the exams was extra special because it was the day when our very own
Blessed Pedro Calungsod was canonized. I offered my final prayers to him and
then I started answering our first exam – Political Law.
First
up was the MCQ part and I doubt right away my choice for the very first
question which was simply asking for Cooley’s definition of Constitution.
Nevertheless, I had questions two to one hundred smooth sailing. I was having a
good time answering Political Law that I even went to the CR twice during the
exam. But that I regret it very much because I have to cram my answer in the
last two essay questions. After finishing it, I asked myself ‘is the Bar Exam
really this easy or it was just me?’ I found out the answer to my question
after the Labor Law Exam in the afternoon.
Bar
Exams never come easy. Our Labor Law exam was a glaring proof. It was not even
an exam, it was a novel. I was literally crying while taking the exam. There
was no justice in it. I was not able to rethink my answer before writing it.
And even if I know that my previous answer was wrong, there was no time to go
back at it and correct it. Time was running fast and I barely caught up with
it.
Examinees
slowly went out of the building, all looking exhausted. My whole family was
waiting for me outside the gate. Each one took turns to greet me. And like Papa
did when Kuya Marty took the Bar in 2008, he asked me how it went. Kuya Marty
when asked the same question during his Bar was in high spirit. I, on the other
hand, was stuttering. It was not a good sign at all.
The
following day, Monday, was a rest day for me. I get to stay with the family,
enjoy the day off, but have to return to my apartment late afternoon that same
day just to condition myself for another week of intense review. First week
just spiced up my OctoBar and I was looking forward for the second week like a
mad dog.
Second Week
Second
week was equally special as the first one since Kat, who was in France,
together with Mamay Cely and family, went to Lourdes. One of their intentions
was for my success in the Bar Exams. I felt I was the luckiest barrister that
time because I get to have someone to pray for me to Our Lady of Lourdes in
France.
Morning
exam during the second week was Civil Law. The first twenty five MCQ questions
were difficult since it was based on Public International Law. I was beginning
to sweat since after the Labor Law exam, I could not afford to have another
poor performance. Nevertheless,
questions twenty six to one hundred were a big sigh of relief. And so was the
essay part.
Then
comes the afternoon exam, and don’t even ask what’s the subject , oh well, it’s
Taxation Law. How would I describe the exam? It was tragic. Examiner asked
several questions on a topic I did not even bother to read during my review.
And I blew the essay part as well. Why did they have to include Taxation as a
Bar subject? Hopes are getting thin, time was running out. But Romans 12:12 has
always reminded me to “Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant
in prayer.”
Third Week
Lord
sure is good! Third week, which is supposed to be the hardest combination of
subjects in Commercial and Criminal Law, turned out to be way easier than
expected. After the exams, barristers went out of the building wearing a smile
for the first time in three weeks.
Fourth Week
During
the fourth and last week, all barristers were in high spirit mainly because it
is the last leg of suffering. But still we have to give our best because the
morning exam, Remedial law, comprises twenty percent of our final grade. A good
performance in the said subject will give the barrister a great chance of
passing, a bad performance, on the other hand, will make all chances of passing
cloudy, while a so-so performance will just add up to anxiety on the part of
the barrister while waiting for the results. I was very well in the last
category. To ease the burden, I did not find any problem drafting my legal
memorandum and in fact finished it almost an hour before the time.
And
that wrapped up my Bar Examinations. I wanted to cry because I know I had very
poor performances in some subjects, but I wanted to jump and celebrate as well
because I have already finished it. But I did not do any of the two, instead, I
was wise enough to pray to God, thank Him for everything and asked Him that let
His will be done. I had a quiet but joyful thanksgiving dinner with the whole
family thereafter.
Post-Bar
I
get to spend the All Souls Day at Ilocos and had a much needed rest there. But
I just have to say it here, I have lamented the fact that I personally did not
feel the respect and the support that my UP org had shown to other and previous
barrister sisses/bros, with the exception of a few who have consistently
uplifted my morale and never doubted me. Worse, my College of Law org terminated
my membership without due process and it even came during the time I needed
them the most. Yes, I told her it would be okay if the org would not barops me
but I also told her that I would be happy if they would still barops me. She
must construe sentences as a whole, she should have known better. Well, I knew
I was not active but I’m telling you all right now, I would have not asked for
material things if the org has decided to barops me, I would just ask for
prayers and that’s it. But she told me the org did not terminate my membership,
but if it’s so, why did they not even include me in the tarpaulin they hang
inside the school campus during the Bar, and why did members never visit or
even text me some encouraging words. What did I do to deserve all these? Also,
some inactive members were still included in their barops and I felt I was
singled out. I have been a very proud member of the org, persuading many to
join it because it is of much help, but it ended in a very sad note. No I am
not a bitter man, I am just trying to say that I am not the villain here, I
was, in fact, the victim, whose cries were never heard by my ex bros and
sisses. But who needs all these drama? I had the best support group – San Beda
Centralized Barops, the best in the land, my girlfriend, who eventhough we are
thousand miles apart, never missed sending me encouraging words, and my family,
the best family one could ever ask for. God really works in mysterious ways!
I
started applying for a job late November. I had several invites through email
but once they asked for my rank and grades, surprisingly in an unprofessional
manner, they won’t reply anymore. I also had three interviews, all ended up
unsuccessful. In my first interview, he said the firm will not like me because
I was sporting a long shaggy hair, but what happened to ‘I can have a haircut
tomorrow naman eh.’ In my second interview, it went well but he wanted to wait
for the results because basing it on my rank, I was ‘in the zone.’ My third
interview turned out to be the worst. She made me wait for almost four hours,
and when it was time for us to talk, I looked at my watch, as this has become
my habit everytime I sit down, and so she asked ‘may lakad ka?’ My interview
lasted for three agonizing minutes where all I said was ‘yes ma’am.’ After all
these bloody interviews, I decided to stop looking for a job and instead wait
for the results.
2013
did not come brightly either. I was very ill on New Year's Day and was confined
in the hospital for nearly a week. I was vomitting for days and was not able to
take in food, solid or liquid. I was diagnosed with typhoid fever. By then, it
looks like 2013 will not be that bright sun shiny for me. But I held on to my
faith. God never fails.
The Results
Just
yesterday, I was in a trip coming from Batangas together with Papa, Mama and
Zalo Boy. I was expecting the results to be out late afternoon. It was noon
time and the results were already out. I was praying hard to Our Lady of
Manaoag because I found out that only 17% passed the Bar. I was kissing Zalo
Boy just to lighten up the already very intense emotion. And then Kuya Marty
called, he was crying and in a complete mess. “Abugadu kan ading ko,” he said
(You are already a lawyer my brother) I burst in tears, it was tears of joy. I
kissed Papa and Mama who were also in tears. Zalo was in dazed, watching us
three crying our lungs out. I told Papa, we have to go to Padre Pio along C5 to
say our thanksgiving prayer. This is God’s will and it is just right to thank
Him for everything. There is no better way to thank Him for this than to serve
and glorify Him for the rest of my life.
Five
years ago, I was very much frustrated not passing the entrance examinations of
UP and Ateneo College of Law. Five years later, I passed the Bar Examinations
and I am proud to say that I am a Bedan Lawyer!
Congrats Oliver! :)
ReplyDeletethanks, RC :)
ReplyDeleteYou don't know how proud I am of you and what a man you have become, Atty.! I love you from the bottom of my heart and God bless us :-)
ReplyDeleteSee you soon,
K
congrats
ReplyDeleteAs i have discovered Bar review is (aside from academic) character and spirituality building. Somewhere along the way we realize that it takes more than talino to pass the bar. Congrats bro.
ReplyDelete