Thursday, March 5, 2020

On God's Perfect Timing


Kat and I tied the knot in 2015. And just like all other couples, we wanted a fulfilling married life – own a car, own a house, have a stable job, and most importantly, have children to love and care.

It’s 2020 already and although we now have the three things that we have prayed and worked hard for, the one thing that mattered most is still missing. And it’s frustrating each passing day.

Kat has polycystic ovary syndrome. I, on the other hand, have low sperm count, low sperm motility, and with abnormal sperm morphology. In other words, both of us have fertility problems.

We are turning 34 this year and conceiving a child for the first time gets risky for that age. Add the fact that Kat’s parents have been expecting their first ever apo since 2015, while my parents would want to have their third since the last one is already eight years old. Seeing our friends getting pregnant or having their second or third baby already made us happy for them but it did not help in uplifting our hopes of getting pregnant.

During that stretch, we’ve tried four different hospitals and five different doctors. One of the doctors even wanted me to undergo varicocelectomy to remove the blocked veins in my reproductive organ. I personally ruled that out and sought for a second opinion.

We’ve tried going to vacation for days to avoid stress and thus increasing our chance of getting pregnant. We’ve lessened our workload and became health conscious. We bought and took all possible fertility-enhancing vitamins and supplements. We even thought of trying alternative medicine. All these to no avail.

But one thing remained constant for Kat and myself – prayer. Getting pregnant has been our relentless special intention to God. We even asked my parents to pray for our special intention before Our Lady of Lourdes in France. Since then, I’ve been wearing a rosary bracelet from Lourdes hoping that such practice would help us get pregnant. Desperate time calls for desperate measure you say? I say it’s faith. God never fails.

But have we questioned God’s timing?

In 2017, I was struggling financially then God steps in and gave me a stable job. It was truly a blessing as the job is something I could keep long-term. In that same year, my first ever car, a ten-year old sedan type, starts showing signs of its advanced age. It would suddenly stop on the middle of a busy road, giving me all kinds of inconvenience. God saw it and we were able to buy our first-ever brand new car.

In 2018, we were then renting a condominium unit for almost two years when the administration suddenly banned pets. We had two pet dogs back then. We were given a month to either dispose the pets or look for another place. God knew we can’t just remove the pets in our lives so He found a way for us to purchase our very own brand new house.

A job and a car in 2017, a house in 2018, God’s timing couldn’t get any better.

In 2019, we were in high spirits that God will give us our one final special intention – getting pregnant. January passed, and so did February, March, April until November and we were not yet pregnant. But we still believed that God won’t let 2019 pass without giving us something special, just like He did in 2017 and 2018. It was a hopeful December. Unfortunately, December passed and we were not yet pregnant. It was secretly a sad Christmas and New Year for us as a couple.

In the evening of 14 January 2020, after arriving from a stressful workday, I threw my tired body to our sofa and spent a good one hour just watching video clips of babies, pregnancy reveal and gender reveal videos. Kat was busy fixing her stuff upstairs. I was in tears watching all the videos, probably because I wanted one so bad. I did not tell Kat about it. It will just hurt her feelings. I knew she badly wanted it more.

The following day, while I was fixing my car before I go to work, Kat strangely called me to come inside and would want to tell me something. She was in our kitchen holding two pregnancy tests. “I’m pregnant” she said. “Are you sure?” I replied nervously. She nodded. Our happiness cannot be contained. We were in tears and shared a very tight hug for several minutes. I asked her how delayed has her period been. Six weeks.

I realized then that we were pregnant starting December of 2019. 

We have never questioned it, not even one bit. God’s timing is always perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment