Seven years ago, I applied for a
part-time lecturer position but was not hired after an on-the spot
demonstration. My desire to teach, however, did not wither. Just two months
after passing the Bar, I applied again and was luckily hired this time. I am in
my fifth year already and had promised to myself to never get tired of
teaching. I would teach as long as I can talk and drive to work. Just recently,
someone suggested to give it up just so I can focus on my other work. Little
did he know that teaching, in fact, helps me get better as a person and as a
lawyer. It boosts my confidence. Teaching, indeed, is a passion and a vocation.
It’s likewise a continuing education and a confidence builder.
When I teach, I know that my
young students, who are willing learners, are all ears. I get to share my
mistakes when I was a student and remind them to avoid committing them. I preach
to them that I was just an average student back then but with prayer, hard work
and determination, I get to reach the position where I am in right now. I get
to motivate them to study harder by stressing the sacrifices of their parents
just for their children to have a good education. And at times, I take the
opportunity to explain to them current events then encourage them to support or
take the path which law and morals dictate. Teaching is indeed an advocacy and
a social responsibility.
As a teacher, I get respected and
admired by my students whom I likewise respect and admire. The mutual respect
and admiration lasts even after the school year and reaches even outside the
classrooms. My students reminisce the good times inside the classroom and treat
the bad times as learning experiences. It’s a cycle which takes its full circle
every school year. And before I forget, when you teach you do the thing you
love and earn at the same time. Teaching, without a doubt, is a noble
profession.
When I teach, I see to it that my
students don’t get bored. I make sure that it is interactive by encouraging
them to ask questions and share their opinions. Sometimes, my method requires
my students to work as a team so as to instill team work and camaraderie not
just inside the classroom but outside as well. Teaching should be learning and
having fun at the same time. Teaching is an art.
I fail students. It’s one of the
ways of telling them to study harder and exert more effort if they want to be
successful in life. But if I see an unceasing effort in them even if they fail
the subject, I give them a passing grade. Grades are just numbers, but effort
and determination translate to something bigger later on in life. Now, the
smile that you see on the student’s face if they get a passing mark or an
admiration or affirmation from the teacher, the sigh of relief they exhibit
after correctly answering a recitation question, the effort they give just to
be present every meeting – all of these make not just the students happy but
the teacher and their parents as well. Even just one changed life of a student,
it can already be claimed that you have taught successfully.
Teaching radiates happiness.
Teaching is a work of heart. Ah! The beauty of teaching.
“A teacher affects eternity; he
can never tell where his influence stops.” -Henry Adams
Love this Atty. Oliver... �� Just continue and enjoy what you have started.. you already found your happiness..opinyon lang naman po nila yun at hindi nila alam ang nararamdaman mo, ang importante masaya ka po sa napili mong propesyon.. nakaka-inspire po.������
ReplyDeleteThanks Meg! Nakakataba ng puso. Manatiling mabait. Si Lord na bahala magreward sayo π
Delete