I still remember two decades ago
when I have to buy an ISP Bonanza prepaid card to connect to the internet, but
not before hearing the modem’s loud and disorienting sound. It was music to my
ears though as I get to access the Love Calculator site to calculate the
probability of me ending up with my crush, go to Yahoo Sports site to check out
my NBA fantasy teams, chat with friends using Yahoo Messenger, or to download
music from iMesh. I always look forward to surfing the internet then as it
makes like simpler.
Today, people criticize even the
minute details about anything they see on the internet. Many get over-sensitive
on everyone’s opinion posted online. Posers do anything just to get attention
and appreciation. It just seems that people use the internet to spread hate,
lies, and insecurities, or just find someone to quarrel with or make fun of.
Thus, the internet has been corrupted badly, social media most specially, to
the point that it is being branded as evil. Sadly, many want to avoid the
internet as much as possible.
We did that. But we can change it
as well if we just use the internet the right way.
When an irresponsible driver hit
the front bumper of my car, I knew that I won’t be able to get enough
compensation from him to cover the repair cost. Good thing my vehicle was
covered by insurance. But with all the inconveniences that the repair process
will bring, it even gets worse when the casa charge you with a participation
fee for an accident that you were a victim of. Sounds unfair. So I went to the
internet, sent an email to the complaint center of the Insurance Commission,
and in just a matter of days, the Commission has acknowledged my email, asked
thereafter the insurer to reply to my email, and eventually resulted in the
waiving of the participation fee being charged to me. I never went personally
to the Commission, never saw an agent of the insurer, just used the internet the
right way.
An officemate asked my assistance
in drafting a demand letter against an authorized repossessor. My officemate
was not able to pay one month amortization and this repossessor took the
vehicle and ransacked it like there’s no tomorrow. Little did he know that the
owner would still pay for the bloated redemption fee, hence was able to
retrieve the car. Unfortunately, the car was no longer the same as before. We
wanted to teach this crook a lesson so we sent a letter complaint via email not
just to the company of the authorized repossessor but to its principal – the
car manufacturer’s head office. In just less than a month we were able to
collect monetary damages from the party at fault. No personal meetings, no
cases filed, just used the internet the right way.
Likewise, I go to the internet to
enter contests, and mind you I have already won good amount of cash prizes. I
go to the internet to apply for an employment, and yes I have two stable
employments as of the moment. And yes, you shouldn’t be reading this article if
not for the internet. Not to boast, just to show the results of using the
internet the right way.
The good news is, the internet’s
use has not been fully exhausted yet for the better. Salute to our public
officials who are pro-active in different platforms of social media in their
honest and unwavering public service. I commend the Insurance Commission for
its innovative online grievance machinery. I hope other agencies, public and
private alike, will follow the lead.
All these in mind, let’s make
life simpler once again by using the internet the right way.
No comments:
Post a Comment