Our first meeting
It was summer
of 2005 when I first saw Tyson. He was then 6 months old.
He came from a
long trip from Metro Manila to Ilocos Sur. He was in a mini cage placed at the
back of the car when he arrived at our house in Ilocos. His cage was full of
vomit and so was his body. He was stinky back then. But when he got freed from
his cage and was welcomed inside our house, his tiny tail started to wiggle and
he ran loose like a playful deer in a lion-less jungle.
He started
biting and licking everything he sees and went to each and everyone then
present as if expressing gratitude for adopting him. He went to Kuya Marty and Kuya
Chinkoy who were delighted by his lively spirit. He went to Bolet and Ogie
who were playful with him. He went to Popop who gave him hugs and kisses. I
knew then that they will be best of friends. And when it was time for Tyson to
approach me, I was discreetly kicking him away since I don’t like dogs back
then. I just hate their hair, their smell, their paws, their licking, and
basically everything about them. I was certain that Tyson was not impressed
about me the first time we met.
Thereafter, I
saw Popop take good care of Tyson – walking him outside, playing with him,
giving him hugs and kisses as always, and even sleeping beside him. It sure was
a summer to remember for both of them.
The turning point
As the summer
ended, Kuya Marty, Kuya Chinkoy and myself needed to go to Manila for our
college studies. The family decided for us to bring Tyson to Manila.
In a twist of
events, I started to like Tyson. Since Popop, our youngest, was left in Ilocos,
I was the one who took care of Tyson in Manila. Tyson started liking me as
well. He follows me wherever I go, he looks forward to our daily outside walk, he
gets excited when I feed him, he sits beside me whenever I sit, and sleeps
beside me whenever I sleep. I was then certain that our relationship then
forged would last a lifetime.
When school
season came, I felt that all I wanted was to be with Tyson more, playing with
him and walking him outside. Good thing I was studying at UP where I can choose
my own subjects and schedule. I made sure that the classes I enrolled would start
at 7 in the morning and end on or before 12 noon. In that way, I could spend
the rest of the day with Tyson. I was able to do that and myself and Tyson were
the happiest duo that time. Well, we were the happiest duo all this time.
I get to spend
almost all my time in a day with Tyson that semester and my brothers would even
joke that I don’t need a girlfriend anymore since Tyson could be that one for
me. And I would jokingly reply that I really don’t need one, Tyson would always
be my girlfriend, companionship-wise that is.
Tyson’s big appetite
Tyson always
had a big appetite. He would eat any food in seconds. Unfortunately, he got
allergic with dog food which made his hair fall at a very young age. During
that time, whenever I walk him around, people who see him would pity him saying
that he is already old. My heart shatters everytime I hear people say that. Hence,
I decided to give Tyson meat for his food. That’s the time his coat got better
and his energy bar got bigger.
Tyson the
tireless runner
Tyson
would tirelessly run the length of the place everytime we are outdoors,
galloping like a wild zebra. Also, whenever a family member arrives home and
meets Tyson again after a long while, Tyson would also run the length of the
house, passing thru under the sofa and tables, barking like a crazy dog, just
to show how excited he is seeing a family once again. It was pure bliss
everytime he does that. It was our natural stress reliever. I bet my whole
earthly savings he will do that again in Heaven once we see each other there.
Tyson the curious
Tyson
was not just about cuteness. He was our guard dog. One time during the middle
of the night, when we were sound asleep, he was hysterically barking facing
outside our house. We scolded him and told him to keep quiet. The following
day, we found out that the side mirrors of our van were stolen. Since then, we
were very alert everytime that happens. I admit it is annoying if he does that,
but I terribly miss it now. How I wish I would hear that again even in my
dreams.
Tyson the
head-turner
And
in case you didn’t know yet, Tyson is a head-turner. He puts a lot of people to
shame everytime he walks outside. Not just because he is a very good-looking
Miniature Pinscher but because he has a big genital. Yes, no joke. It’s normal
to hear people saying “Ay ang cute” or “Uy, ang laki ng ano nya.” But I was
shocked when I heard someone said “Masarap siguro kainin yan.” Man, that’s
below the belt.
Tyson and
Dobby
In
2010, the family’s second dog arrived. His name is Dobby, a maltese. Tyson didn’t
like the idea. He wanted to remain as the family’s favorite dog. They fight
everytime they see each other. And they don’t just fight, they wanted a piece
of each other. Their casual fights were so vicious that Tyson accidentally bit
my hand while I was pacifying them. But believe it or not, in Tyson’s 14 years
of existence, I was his first and last biting victim. Tyson was indeed very
furious at Dobby but was an angel to everyone else. Try to ask the people who
regularly groom him and they would confirm that Tyson is one of the gentlest
dogs they have ever groomed.
Tyson, the
territory-marker
As
much as Tyson is our forever companion and that we always transfer residence,
he has also experienced urinating and dirtying so many different streets in the
Metro. Tyson started living with us at K-9 St., Kamias, Quezon City where I
made sure that he goes out for a walk at least twice a day. We then transferred
momentarily to K10 St., followed by Marang St., Anonas, QC, then returned to
Kamias along K-8 St., then transferred again to Cannon Road, New Manila, QC,
followed by a brief stint at K-J St., along Anonas, and lastly here at Malate,
Manila. They say once a dog urinates at a place, it has become his own
territory. Now I could say that Tyson owns almost the whole of QC and part of
Manila. You’ve marked your territory well, buddy.
Tyson, our
baby boy
Kat
and I have been together for 11 years now and married for almost 3 years. But
our attempt to conceive is hampered for some medical reasons. While hoping for
a successful conception, Tyson has become our baby in the meantime. We let him
sleep beside us, we pepper him with kisses, we bring him to places we go, we
even sing lullabies to him. He might be a dog but we treated him as our baby
boy, and he will forever be our baby boy. We love you so much, Tyson.
Tyson and
Chief
Just
early this year, even without plans to adopt another dog, we were forced to get
one since the delicate puppy might die if not sheltered. We called him Chief,
short for Chief Justice. It was the third dog member in the family, but Tyson
was confused right from Day 1. Perhaps Tyson was trying to tell us why did we
get another baby dog when he is already our baby dog. Surprisingly, Tyson never
harboured hard feelings against Chief. In fact, Tyson was very gentle on Chief,
except when it comes to food though. Kat and I were even joking that Tyson
might be the one teaching Chief good manners and right conduct everytime we
leave them at home when we go to work. And Tyson might be trying to tell us
that he is confident to leave us already because he knows we will be loving
another dog, someone whom he trained how to love us, the same way he loved us
during his 14 fruitful and colourful years of existence. For that, thank you so
much, Tyson.
The signs
Just
last month, during Kat’s birthday, we made sure to celebrate it with Tyson and
Chief. We just felt the urge to bring them somewhere and enjoy. We went to
Tagaytay for a 2-night vacation. Tyson and Chief sure had fun. Little did we
know that it would be Tyson’s last out of town ride.
After
that we again felt the urge to bring Tyson and Chief to UP Amphitheatre which
is Tyson’s favourite playground when we were still living in QC. Tyson and
Chief played on the grass. While Chief was running his lungs out as it was his
first time there, Tyson was slowly smelling the grass and marking his one final
territory. Little did we know that that would be Tyson’s last visit at his favourite
ground.
And
during his 14th birthday celebration, he had his one final taste of
his favorite Jollibee Chickenjoy, and a sumptuous lunch out with the complete
family. He had his signature cake and he even blew his own candles. Little did
we know that that would be his last birthday and the last time the family would
see him. Good thing Iggy Boy was giving him tight hugs and sticky kisses all
throughout the celebration. Tyson felt the love he deserved during his last
celebration and I thank everyone from the bottom of our heart.
His final
hours
Last
night at 8 in the evening, he had Mang Inasal Chicken for dinner. He was in
character that time as he ate his food in seconds and was mad at anyone who
goes near him while eating. Everything was normal until around 10 in the
evening. Kat and I observed that Tyson had an unusual fast heavy breathing. We
thought he just had phlegm stuck inside him and so we told him to cough it out,
lie down and relax. However, he was so uneasy and he keeps on transferring from
one place to another. Everytime we carry him and place him on the bed to sleep
with us, he would do his best to calm down so that he could sleep right beside us
but he can’t do it. He would get up and transfer from one place to another
again. Because of tiredness, I was able to sleep thinking that Tyson will sleep
off his uneasiness.
I
woke up at around 1:30 early in the morning and noticed that Kat had not slept
yet. I asked about Tyson right away and I saw him sleep-deprived, walking
gingerly, and can’t compose his balance. That’s the time we got alarmed. Kat
called up a 24-hour pet hospital and found one near our place. Kat told me to
change clothes while she carries Tyson. When it was Kat’s turn to change, I
carried Tyson and noticed that his weight got lighter. I can feel that he had
no control of his body anymore. I started crying hard. Tyson began salivating
and defecating. It’s like he’s telling me that “I am okay to go now daddy,
thanks for carrying me.” We rushed to the pet hospital, while I drive and Kat
comforts Tyson who was breathing deeply and very slowly this time. When we
reached the hospital, the doctor tried to resuscitate him but it was too late.
We were crying our lungs out, praying for a miracle while watching our baby boy
hang on for his dear life but he was moments later declared dead. It was past
2:30 in the morning. We cried and cried as if we were harmonizing with the
heavy downpour of Typhoon Ompong. The tears won’t just go. We just lost our
baby boy.
We
saw them wrap Tyson up and placed inside a box. That’s our love of our life
wrapped up just like that. Then we realized we had no time to mourn and mourn
since we need to plan for his funeral, but we had to deal with the super
typhoon and establishments might be close for the day. This won’t beat the
period for Tyson’s body to decompose. So we prayed harder for a better weather.
He listened to our prayers and sent Pet Valley which even hails from Cavite to
pick up Tyson for his cremation, amid this menacing storm. God is indeed good!
Tyson lived a
long and happy life
I
started informing Kuya Marty, Kuya Chinkoy, Popop, Ogie, Bolet, Papa and Mama
about Tyson’s passing away. They were shocked and in tears, but one in saying
that we should not be sad because Tyson lived a very long (14 years = 72 human
years) and happy life. That’s true and we are sure he is now as happy in Dog Heaven,
eating his favorite Jollibee Chickenjoy.
But
sure your mommy Kat and I will miss your panlalambing, your bark, your stinky
fart, your bad breath, your over-excitement when going out, your constipation,
your handsome face, your jealousy everytime mommy and I cuddle, your funny
sounds, your stretching, your sleeping to our lullaby, your sitting on my lap
while driving, your accompanying me while I wash the car, your sleeping near my
legs all the time, your scratching the bed and the sofa, your smell, your white
hair, your incomplete teeth, your always posing for the camera, your struggles
while taking a bath, your waiting for me at the door whenever I arrive home, our daily walk outside, and I could go on until tomorrow. Long story short, you
will miss us but we will miss you more. But rest assured, you will forever be
in our heart. And we will meet again in heaven and re-do all the great things
we did here on earth, but it would be for eternity already when that time
comes.
Your
family, especially your baby brother Chief, your mommy Kat and me your daddy
thank you so much for the 14 years of pure bliss. We love you so much, Tyson!
Please guide us always, baby.
Lawrence of
Clay aka Tyson
September 4,
2004 – September 15, 2018
No comments:
Post a Comment