Saturday, July 8, 2017

We Need More Women in the Judiciary

By Oliver Cachapero Jr.


"It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays eggs." -Margaret Thatcher

I became a full-fledged lawyer in 2013, and just like many freshly-minted lawyers back then, I was very much eager to attend hearings and litigate mightily. I get to wear a long-sleeved barong, walk into the Hall of Justice while people look in daze, their eyes saying how young a lawyer I am, get to be called “Attorney” by court staff, and PaƱero by the opposing counsel and the Judge. Years of suffering in law school finally paying off as these things unfold right before my eyes.

But as an idealistic person that I am, the reality of litigation came to me with a big surprise, something that I never expected especially that we were taught a lot about legal ethics and whatnots in law school.

In one of my hearings outside Metro Manila, an accused stood trial for stealing a magic kalan (mini gas stove) from a sari-sari store. The trial room that day was packed with curious guests and visitors, grieving complainants and hand-cuffed accused, police officers, court employees, fellow lawyers and a male Judge. The said accused was to be arraigned. Before his case was read in front of him, the unsuspecting male Judge asked the accused, “Eh ano ba ang ninakaw mo?” (What did you steal?) All of us inside the room were all ears. The accused replied with a shy voice, “magic kalan po.” (Mini-gas stove, sir.) The male Judge started laughing as the other lawyers laughed with him. Little did they know that he was just forced to steal the magic kalan for his very ill wife and three young kids. We could all agree that we he did was wrong, but is it right to laugh at it? Lady Justice would have struck her sword on them. In that way, justice would have been better served.

Again, in one of my hearings in Metro Manila, I witnessed a male Judge transformed from being a very gentle and considerate magistrate to a very annoyed and infuriated one. He was having his time as a judge when he was examining a witness who is very fluent in the English language and is good at expressing his thoughts. The witness was well-dressed, calm and confident. The male Judge was just like having a casual conversation with him, gentle and considerate even if the witness was not responsive at times. Male Judge even gets to lead him to his desired answer once in a while. But there was a 360-degree turn of events when the next case was called and the next witness was asked to take the witness stand. She was in her Sunday dress, although some would consider it as a pambahay. Her hair was a mess, might have not taken a bath that day, and was with her partially blind son who was the victim of that case. I did not personally know the history of her case but the male Judge was already fuming when he asked his first question. The witness was obviously scared as can be felt from her shaking voice. Every time the male Judge asked questions and the witness answered timidly or unresponsively, the Judge gets infuriated and threw some tirades at her. It was an embarrassing ordeal for the poor witness which ended with the Judge resetting the case. The witness was almost in tears out of humiliation and looked like she does not want to continue with the prosecution of the case anymore. This unusual (I supposed) scene was highlighted by the fact that the furious male Judge was just cool and collected minutes before he dealt with the later witness.

Interestingly, most of my experiences with female judges, on the other hand, are completely in contrast with those narrated.

In one of my hearings in Metro Manila where my wife accompanied me, she was in total disbelief after the trial. She won’t stop talking about how motherly the female Judge was to all the parties to the cases that she heard that day. In one case, that female Judge gave a detailed guideline on how the accused could engage the services of the Public Attorney’s Office. She likewise devoted a good amount of time trying to settle the next case. Normally, non-parties would get impatient when the judge spends a lot of time on just one case, but during that time, we were attentive to her and were nodding all the time to show our affirmation. I would like to believe that that specific case has been settled by now. When my case was called, she was gentle to me as she saw a young lawyer in front of her. She would point out my mistakes mildly and would lecture me as if I was her lawyer-son. My wife ended her admiration to that female Judge by saying that the integrity of our judicial system would have been at an all-time high if all the judges were like her. She is the complete embodiment of what Lady Justice stands for.

Just recently, I had a hearing in Metro Manila. The accused stood trial for stealing a Toblerone chocolate worth P119.00. I was seated in front and my mind flashed back to my memories of the magic kalan trial. I was ready to be disappointed once again but I was in shock when the female Judge showed compassion to the accused saying “Kung pwede lang ako na ang magbabayad nyan.” (If it’s allowed I’ll be the one to pay for it.) She then continued “Ang gusto ko magkaayusan kayo ngayon. Pumunta ka sa (grocery) store pagkatapos ng hearing at ayusin mo. Gusto ko maayos ito sa labas ng korte.” (I want this to be settled now. You go to the (grocery) store right after this hearing. I want this to be settled without legal intervention.) No laughter was heard that day. Only the resounding silence of admiration.

Some would argue that the choice of gender has nothing to do with the trust and integrity of our judicial system. But only a fool would deny that women are more compassionate than men. Compassionate justice, after all, is recognized by our courts. Be that as it may, we need more women in the Judiciary. This is not just a statement, it’s in fact a plea.

------------
For comments, send it to ocachaperojr@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment