Sunday, April 10, 2011

Love At First Sight Does Not Happen In Movies Only

by Oliver P. Cachapero



It was my very first day in UP, and if my memory serves me right, it was in our KAS 100 class at Palma Hall. I still had no friends to seat beside with and so I opted to seat at the back.

Normal to all straight males, I searched for pretty female classmates inside the room but unfortunately, there were none. And so I said to myself that this would be a boring class.

As it was only the first day of classes, our professor was late. And so was this one female classmate together with two friends. When she entered the room, I took back what I told to myself awhile back and begin to believe that UP is not for nerd people at all.

She had this very refreshing smile and captivating aura, and that was all I know about her at that time. But I knew it from the first time I laid my eyes on her that she would be someone special in my college life.

To my delight when she and her friends sat right in front of where I am seated. She was drinking coffee, was wearing a white shirt and a long skirt. When she began talking, I was all ears. She has a wonderful voice and on that very moment I began to fantasize that that voice would be the very same voice that I would hear saying “I love you” to me over and over again for the rest of my life.

I went home a very happy person during that day.

The next day, the happiness did not subside as I was ecstatic just on the thought of seeing her again next week or if I get lucky, seeing her around the campus by chance.

Man, I could not explain how happy I am when I found out that she was my classmate again in another class. When I entered the room, she was already inside and boy I did not think twice to seat at the back of where she was seated. I did this maybe because I wanted her to notice me or I just wanted to hear her voice, or maybe I wanted to see more of her skin as her back was revealed by her short shirt every time she moves, or maybe because love at first sight does not happen in movies only.

Since then, I began asking people about her. I found out that she excels academically, that she is active in extracurricular activities, I even got her cell phone number, learned of her name, and that she was still single – and the latter was all I need to know at that time. After knowing all these, I became a man with a mission. Love sure is the great motivator.

When we were required to make an oral report in our class, I told to myself that this was a great opportunity to impress her. She reported ahead of me. Her topic was about Nepal. I did not remember anything she reported not because she blew it but because I was just staring at her all throughout her report. All I remembered was that Kathmandu is Nepal’s capital and that she looks prettier while talking in front of the class.

When it was my turn to report, I was ready to impress her but she was absent on that day. Although I delivered an impressive report about India’s Kerala, it did not mean anything to me as the person I expected to be impressed was not there. And so I have to think of another way to make her notice me somehow.

And so I decided to join the organization where she was a member. By joining her organization, I was assured that we would see each other more often and we get to stay in the same tambayan where I can talk to her and get to know her much better. The plan went well, all thanks to the organization.

Three years thereafter, all paid off and that classmate of mine, who made my college life colourful the very moment I laid my eyes on her, and I became one in the name of love. And on the 22nd of May this year, we are going to celebrate our four wonderful years of being together.

I had fantasies before way back in my elementary days, thinking that a certain classmate would be the one, but fantasy stays in its own world. In this world, the real world that is, true love is celebrated by finding the puzzle piece that perfectly fits you; the person who would compliment your not-so-perfect-life; the one who would be with you more so during your bad and lowly times; the one who would sacrifice part of his/her life for you; the one who sets aside the past and focuses his/her future with you in it; the person whom you are happy to be with just by sitting on the couch or walking along the street; and most specially, the person whom you can sincerely call your soul mate.

I am happy I am celebrating true love with you, Ma. Kathryn Ann B. Manalo, the only person whom I can sincerely call my soul mate.

Love at first sight does not happen in movies only, it happens in real life, too. And if it happens, you know it is something special, you know it is genuine, you know it will last a lifetime.


2 comments:

  1. I know :) Love at first sight really happens in real life :) Remember that what you guys have is rare, very rare, indeed. Don't throw it away no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Oliver,
    I first read this blog post when I was in El Nido. Never had the time to comment on it.

    I WOULD LIKE YOU TO KNOW THAT
    - This is a really nice post
    - I'm grateful for everything
    and
    - I am and will forever love you

    xx

    ReplyDelete