Monday, August 23, 2010

Mournful August

Last August 14, 2010, around eight in the evening, my father’s older brother, Papay Doel, was shot in the body which caused his untimely death. The gunman is still at large, the whole Cachapero clan is still mourning.


The day that followed, the sad news was made known to Papay Dennis, my father’s another older brother. Papay Dennis at that time was undergoing dialysis for months already. When he knew the news he was rushed to the hospital and he was not able to talk for a while. It was a blow to him considering that he was already weak during those times.


Today, August 24, 2010, at five in the morning, Papay Dennis passed away. My two Papays are gone – on the same year and on the very same month. Now there is no one I could call Papay anymore. (Papay is the Tagalog term for your father’s older brother.)


I admire Papay Dennis a lot. Papa used to tell us that Papay Dennis is the most intelligent among them all. When I was just a small boy, he used to give me the tail of the pig that they roast. It was their business to roast pig back then and it was an additional income if they could sell the tail, but the first thing he always did is to cut the tail and give it to me. He is also a good joker. Every time he sees us he usually cracks a joke or makes funny sounds which would always make us laugh. He is also a good singer and guitarist. I usually hear him singing classic songs. One time, I heard him singing Para sa Masa of the Eraserheads. I was really amazed because I am really a fan of the Eraserheads and he sang the song very well. But lately, I have not seen him doing these things anymore. He grew weak each passing day. And the last time I saw him was inside their house, sitting on his botaca alone.


Papay Dennis lived a good life – simple but touched many lives as he was a professor in the University of Northern Philippines (UNP). Lately, he has suffered much and perhaps God wants him to rest already on His side. To Mamay Mesy, Manong Lester, Manang Star, Manong Pong and Manang Gail, be strong, just think that he is happier now in heaven with Lolo Mac, Lola Diding and Papay Doel. We will pray for your family and for Papay Dennis’ soul.


Truly it was a mournful August for us, but we never questioned nor will we ever question the will of God. Things happen for a reason and all these are part of God’s bigger plan for us all.


Rest in peace my two Papays – Doel & Dennis.


We love you and we will miss you. You will always be in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment